Gentle and Reliable Dental Extractions in Fort Myers
Nobody relishes the idea of having a tooth extracted, but sometimes, an extraction is necessary for your dental health. If a tooth is severely decayed or damaged and can no longer be saved with root canal therapy, removing it can protect your health long-term. At the practice of Jay Shartzer, DDS, we offer efficient and gentle extractions in Fort Myers to alleviate pain and help you get back to your best oral health.
Our top priority is to help you achieve a healthy and lasting smile. We keep your best interests in mind and strive to ensure your comfort during all stages of your treatment. Dr. Shartzer and our compassionate team of dental professionals have the technology, experience, and gentle touch necessary to deliver the treatment you need. If you have severe tooth pain or need wisdom teeth removed, call to schedule an appointment today!
CALL US: (239) 275-8880 REQUEST APPOINTMENT
Why Would I Need a Tooth Extraction?
Our team is passionate about preserving your teeth, and for this reason, we save extraction as a last resort. If we can repair and save your tooth, then we will take that route to maintain your natural tooth structure. However, there are situations where having one or more teeth extracted may be the best for your overall health.
Dr. Shartzer will thoroughly assess your dental health to gather all the facts and verify that an extraction is the right path for you. Some of the reasons you may need a tooth extraction in Fort Myers include:
- Infection: Tooth decay eats away at the enamel, and if left untreated, it can reach the vulnerable inner portion of the tooth. The decay then infects the pulp in the center of the tooth, which contains blood vessels and nerves. If the infection is so severe that antibiotics and root canal therapy cannot correct it, we may suggest an extraction to prevent the infection from spreading.
- Periodontal or gum disease: When left untreated, gum disease causes the degeneration of the gum tissue, bone, and ligaments that support your teeth. As periodontal disease progresses, the teeth become loose. When this happens, it may be necessary to pull the tooth or teeth and replace them with a dental bridge or dental implants once the gum disease has been halted.
- Overcrowding: For orthodontic treatment, it may be necessary to extract one or more teeth to create room for your teeth to realign.
- Impacted wisdom teeth: If your wisdom teeth, the third set of molars, fail to emerge above the gum line fully or emerge at an angle pushing against neighboring teeth, it is best to have them removed to prevent alignment issues and further damage to the other teeth.
- Dental trauma: Sometimes, an accident causes a tooth to become damaged beyond repair. When this is the case, an extraction will be necessary to restore your oral health.
Gentle Extractions in Fort Myers
We know that dental extractions can be a real cause of fear and anxiety. As such, we ensure all our services are as comfortable and gentle as possible. We will take you through every step of your Fort Myers tooth extraction treatment so you are confident with the procedure. You can rest assured that our dentist will explore all other options before suggesting extraction and will never push you to receive a treatment you don't feel ready for.
We offer IV sedation and bring in an anesthetist to administer IV sedation when needed. This form of conscious sedation maximizes your comfort and relieves anxiety. We also accept patients who need an emergency extraction due to trauma or severe pain and will try to schedule you for the nearest available appointment. Please note that we cannot provide IV sedation for emergency appointments as it must be planned in advance.
What Should I Expect With Tooth Extraction?
Once we’ve determined the need for an extraction, we can complete the procedure in a single visit. Dr. Shartzer will take an x-ray of the areas to evaluate the tooth and plan the best approach to removing it. Before the procedure, the dentist will numb the treatment area and provide you with sedation as needed. Once you are comfortable, our team will perform a gentle extraction.
We offer several restorative treatment options to replace missing teeth and restore the function and appearance of your smile. Depending on the number of teeth removed and your aesthetic desires, we can provide you with a fixed bridge, dental implants, or dentures. Dr. Shartzer may provide a bone graft to preserve the jawbone density in the extraction area for future needs.
Your Reliable Fort Myers Extractions Team
At the practice of Jay Shartzer, DDS, we are passionate about helping you enjoy better oral health through safe, efficient, and effective dental extractions. When you need a team you can trust to help you get your oral health back on track, we'll provide the experienced and reliable dental care you deserve. We serve families in Fort Myers and the surrounding communities. Contact us to schedule your visit today!
CALL US: (239) 275-8880 REQUEST APPOINTMENT